For large premises with high daily traffic, a floor covering is needed that looks aesthetically pleasing and at the same time retains pollution from the street. This problem is effectively solved by vestibule carpets. They have a number of advantages over conventional walkways and are specially designed for office and public buildings.
Description of vestibule carpets
The vestibule carpet successfully performs the function of dirt protection in the premises for the passage of a large number of visitors. It is a special coating with high absorbency. Pile carpets are used to effectively retain street dirt. They consist of a rubber backing and a short fibrous cover in dark colors (brown or dark grey).
Advantages of pile carpets
The main advantages of specialized vestibule coverings:
- They have excellent absorbency (on average, 1 m² of such a coating holds up to 3.5 kg of dirt and up to 3 liters of liquid).
- Dense woolly cover effectively absorbs sand and water, while maintaining a neat appearance for a long time.
- Dirt-resistant carpets have a ribbed rubber base, so they do not slip on the floor, which reduces the likelihood of injury from falls.
- A special backing prevents water from seeping onto the floors, keeping them dry and clean.
- Pile paths on a dense basis have antistatic properties and are resistant to abrasion.
Types of anti-splash mats
Floor coverings are divided into three degrees of protection according to the size of the retained particles:
- Large-mesh modular PVC sections, gratings made of steel or aluminum, combined rubber-metal coatings. Designed for large polluting fractions (snow, sand, stones). Their holding capacity is about 18 kg/m².
- Fine-mesh mats made of aluminium, PVC or rubber with stiff bristles. Used to clean residual solid dirt from shoes.
- Pile dirt-protective carpets on a rubber backing. Their main function is to absorb liquid contaminants, fine sand and dust.
How to choose a vestibule carpet?
When buying, it is recommended to consider:
- Room type. Large-mesh metal structures are used at the entrance for outdoor areas, PVC and rubber structures are used for internal ones.
- Passability of the vestibule. The more intense it is, the more degrees of protection are required. A combination of all three is more effective, which is advisable in buildings with significant traffic. In places with a small number of visitors, a PVC and rubber mat is enough.
- Entrance area size. The large lobby provides for the passage of visitors on the cleaning surface for at least five steps. The optimal size is 0.5 m wider than the doorway and 0.85 m long (at least). In small corridors and vestibules, it is advisable to provide solid anti-splash mats.
Vestibule carpets – maintenance
Cleaning is done in four main ways:
- Cleaning with a vacuum cleaner without the use of additional tools.
- With the use of dry absorbents (dry cleaning).
- Steam cleaner treatment. A carpet cleaner is added to the water, which, under steam pressure, pushes dirt out of the pile.
- Foam cleaning. With this method, first vacuuming is carried out, then a mixture of a special detergent with water is applied. After the time specified in the instructions, the initial processing procedure is repeated.
Vestibule special rubber-based carpets effectively trap dirt brought by visitors from the street, and at the same time maintain a neat appearance. However, pile carpet used in high traffic areas is almost impossible to clean on your own. For this, washing machines with a large capacity and professional dryers are used.