An original interior element, room decoration, the ability to have a tamed fire in a metropolis – this is how the owners speak of such devices as biofireplaces for an apartment. We offer you to find out what they are, how they affect the design of housing, and also what advantages and disadvantages they have.
What is a biofireplace?
Since the Middle Ages, people have been heating rooms with fire. Previously, stoves or fireplaces were used for this, in which coal or firewood was placed, however, such devices had many disadvantages and could not be used in apartments. They have now been replaced by modern devices. Those people who are not familiar with this technique are interested in how a biofireplace works.
Unlike its “brothers in fire”, the device operates on biological fuel in liquid or gel form. This leads to the appearance of a full-fledged fire, but at the same time the absence of smoke, soot and smell. As a result, you can place a biological fireplace anywhere. The heart of the device is a stainless steel heating block, which is installed in the center of the structure, fuel is poured into it. For decor, different materials and designs are used. It can be fire-resistant glass, specially painted steel, granite, marble or veneer.
Fuel for biofireplace
People who are far from technology may think that some kind of unique composition is used in technology, although in reality this is not the case. Liquid for a biofireplace is represented by ethanol. This alcohol is obtained by fermentation of sugars isolated from different plants. However, this does not mean at all that you can purchase any ethanol and pour it into the burner.
For biofireplaces, only denatured alcohol is used, to which certain substances are added. It is harmless to the environment, in the process of burning it decomposes into natural products. Biofuels are produced in canisters of various sizes. The flow rate averages 0.36 l/h. The efficiency of such a fireplace is 95%, which makes it not only an interior item, but also a kind of heating device, however, it is not able to compare with such a device as a heat generator furnace in terms of power.
Pros and cons of a biofireplace
The secret of this device is simple – the rejection of solid fuel and, as a result, after burning, the absence of any traces. In addition, such a fireplace for an apartment is endowed with the following advantages:
- There is no need to install a chimney.
- During combustion, it does not emit harmful gases.
- Economical fuel consumption.
- The unique design of the fuel tank eliminates the possibility of accidental ignition.
- Installation does not require permissions and approvals from authorities.
- Does not require special maintenance.
- Installation does not take much time.
- The cost is much lower than a wood-burning fireplace.
- The device comes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.
Like many other appliances, biofireplaces for an apartment, in addition to its advantages, also have some disadvantages. Among them are the following points:
- Even with a multi-level protection system, you should not forget that a real fire burns in the device.
- With intensive use, refilling will be expensive.
- During operation, oxygen is burned in the room and carbon is released.
- Biofireplace will not replace a full-fledged heating system.
- Remaining alcohol in the unit due to evaporation will cause the odor to spread.
Types of biofireplace
The main distinguishing features of this technique can be considered their design and size. In order to understand what kind of fireplace you need, it is recommended to get acquainted with all the options offered on the market. Selection is carried out depending on the location, type of room, wall thickness and other indicators. Nowadays, biofireplaces, depending on the installation site, are represented by the following types:
- corner biofireplace;
- in the portal
Depending on the system of operation, biofireplaces for an apartment are divided into:
An unusual interior detail that can even be placed in the form of a picture. The wall-mounted biofireplace in the apartment is easy to mount and carry. The cost is directly related to the quality of materials, the method of finishing and the size of the product. Wall-mounted devices are endowed with smaller dimensions than floor-standing options. Among them, there are different subspecies depending on the location of the fuel tank:
- Open. Has the form of the shelf enclosed by glass panels.
- Closed. It is made in the form of a block of different sizes with a glass front panel.
It is a small device with a small burner. They are necessarily provided with protection against tipping, because the device is easy to drop. Such biofireplaces for the home are available in two forms:
They are the best option for small spaces, because they take up a minimum of space and are disguised in the table. Such bio-fireplaces for a small apartment can be a great alternative to candles. It will not work to fully heat the room with its help, but being located in close proximity to the fire, you will certainly feel warm.
The most common and widely used type in design. It can be placed in any room and can be easily moved if desired. Such a biofireplace for an apartment can be made of different materials:
The forms of structures are striking in variety. In addition, they are very massive in size. The main distinguishing advantage is the ease of installation and maintenance. The floor structure can be closed or open. Basically, such biofireplaces for an apartment are divided into:
They are a basic structure-frame, the walls of which are made of refractory material. The device has different sizes, so you can choose the right option. There are double-sided models that can be built into partitions between rooms. It is forbidden to use walls that consist of materials prone to combustion. Installation is carried out, observing the following rules:
- wall thickness not less than 20 cm;
- location at a height of 30 cm from the floor and not less than 100 cm from the ceiling;
- distance from flammable objects is not less than 100 cm.
How to choose a biofireplace?
Recently, the presence of live fire in the apartment has become a popular phenomenon. If there is an interest in a biofireplace, but it is not completely clear how to choose the right option, you need to take into account the following points:
- What type of device and its purpose.
- How many burners and how big are they?
- Find out the power of the biofireplace.
- What type of fuel does an eco-friendly fireplace use and how much.
- How long will the fire burn at full refueling.
- Device functionality. They are represented by: protective glass, remote control, auto ignition, control from a smartphone.
- Body material. An eco-fireplace in an apartment can be made on the basis of chipboard / MDF, metal or glass.
- Burner material. Metal is always used, in addition to steel, aluminum can be found.
Biofireplace – dimensions
The popularity of the devices has led to a huge variety of options on the market. Mechanical or automatic floor and wall biofireplaces in most cases have a length of about 1 m, but if desired, models with much more can be ordered. As for the desktop options, they can be miniature, no more than a cup. The depth of such products is at least 20 cm.
Accessories for biofireplaces
The device is not only an interior decoration, but also a good source of heat. The fire of a fireplace always catches the eye, but at the same time it is appropriate to take into account how the product looks when it is not working. As additional accessories use:
- ceramic firewood for a biofireplace;
- glass railings;
- decorative lattices;
- spare cylinders of biofuel;
Biofireplace do it yourself
The desire to become the owner of such a device, but the inability to purchase it, leads to no reason to be upset, since everything can be done by hand. The most difficult thing in the manufacture of a biofireplace is the assembly of a fuel tank. If it is not possible to purchase a ready-made version, you can make it yourself. For it, you need to have a stainless steel sheet with a thickness of more than 3 mm. The tank consists of two compartments:
- lower – for fuel;
- upper – for combustion of vapors.
Between them there is a metal plate with holes. The shape of the tank can be different, the best option is a parallelepiped with a narrow upper compartment. Having decided on the type of fuel tank, you can start manufacturing. Consider how to make a floor model biofireplace with two glass screens. You will need to have the following materials:
- fire-resistant glass for screens;
- fuel tank;
- silicone gaskets;
- self-tapping screws;
- wooden bars.
A safe fireplace is assembled as follows:
- The sides of the box and the top panel are cut out of drywall.
- Mark the location of the fuel tank.
- Cut out a hole for the reservoir.
- Assemble the frame and fix the top panel on it.
- The edges are treated with putty.
- The base is decorated in the chosen way.
- Two pieces of the desired size are cut out of glass.
- Holes are drilled in each for decorative fasteners.
- Holes are also drilled on the side walls of the base.
- The screen is fixed to the base with bolts and a silicone gasket.
- The same manipulations are carried out with other glass.
- Legs are installed on the bottom of the screen.
- The fuel tank is securely mounted in the prepared hole.
- Decorate with stones or ceramic logs.
Biofireplaces in the interior
The versatility of the device allows you to use it in different rooms. Knowing what a biofireplace is, it remains to find out where it would be appropriate to look. Let’s get acquainted with the features of placing the device in different rooms:
- Living room. The fireplace in the interior will give charm and comfort. Various options help you choose the right option. Glass looks perfect in a modern style, and marble in a classic one.
- Bedroom. The fire in this room will help you relax and create a romantic atmosphere. It is recommended to choose desktop or built-in bio-fireplaces for a small apartment.
- Kitchen. Unusual decision. You can choose a built-in or floor-standing option that divides the space. You can decorate the dining area with a desktop model.
- Loggia or balcony. Even a small bio-fireplace will help turn these rooms into a lounge area.