In the serious question of how to choose a monitor for a computer, there are many nuances. The parameters of this important device should be given no less attention than the brand of the processor, video card or hard drive. The size and quality of the picture on the screen directly affects the usability and health of the eyes.
Which monitor to choose for your computer?
Old CRT devices with ray tubes have been replaced from the shelves by more advanced devices with LCD displays, but even among them there is a huge variety of models, which is difficult for a beginner to understand. Retail outlets and buyers have different tasks, people want to purchase a quality product, and sellers want to sell expensive stale goods. To solve the problem of how to choose a monitor for a computer, you should approach the most prepared person.
Many people decide which monitor to choose for their home based solely on the device’s design, size, and cost. This approach is absolutely wrong, in our case we need to take into account a whole list of the most important criteria. For example, an inexpensive device that will completely suit an office worker will terrify an avid gamer or a lover of watching movies on the big screen.
How to choose a monitor for a photographer?
Trying to cope with the problem of which monitor to choose for processing a photo, the quality of the display cannot be neglected. For a specialist, it is important to get a picture made in the right color scheme. If the customer is given a picture that will be radically different from the original image on his home computer, then he will definitely blame the photo lab for the marriage.
Criteria for choosing a monitor for working with photographs:
- The type of matrix for the computer is IPS.
- Matrix color depth – not less than 8-10 bit (from 16 million colors).
- Screen size – from 24 inches.
- Screen Aspect Ratio – Preferably buy a device with 16:10 aspect ratio, in this option you get 1 inch more in height than with a 16:9 monitor.
- Coating – matte monitors are non-glare and less distorted, semi-gloss displays can be considered as an alternative.
- The ability to perform high-quality calibration of brightness, contrast, midtones, details in the shadows and in the light is the most important point for any serious photographer in choosing the best monitor for a computer.
Which monitor to choose for a designer?
If the task is how to choose a monitor for design, then you need to solve it according to the same rules as when looking for a high-quality device for professional photo processing. On a cheap computer screen, it is impossible to properly correct and retouch, develop a template, or perform other delicate work with complex programs. Among the good and relatively affordable monitors of 2017 that are well suited for design and photo editing on a computer are the Dell 2412M, Samsung U32D970Q, LG 29UM65-P, BenQ SW2700PT.
How to choose a gaming monitor?
Real gamers get terribly annoyed when some little thing distracts them from their favorite activity and does not allow them to fully immerse themselves in the virtual world. The problem of which monitor to choose for games is no less important for such people than buying powerful components for the system unit. It is better to choose a matte or glossy anti-glare display coating; when the lighting is off, it will not reflect the light of a night lamp and other objects located in the room.
The matrix of this device must be made using IPS technology with excellent viewing angles. The optimal monitor size for a computer that is located a short distance from the user is 23″-32″. To enjoy the game to the fullest, Full HD resolution and higher is optimal with a 16:9 aspect ratio of the computer monitor. The response time should be no more than 5 ms, and the screen refresh rate should be from 60 Hz.
How to choose a monitor for working with documents?
Office workers deal with tables and a large amount of text information, it is advisable for them to purchase widescreen displays for a computer with a diagonal of 24 or more. Budget devices have a resolution of 1280 × 1024, but the best option is 1920 × 1080 pixels. Try not to buy a cheap TN monitor for an accountant When thinking about which screen to choose for your workplace, do not skimp on your eyesight.
Devices with built-in sensors that can evaluate the lighting in the room and automatically adjust image parameters will help reduce eye strain. For an accountant who often works at night, the minimum brightness value plays a role. It is better to choose a monitor for a computer, in which it is possible to widely adjust this parameter up to 1%, which will allow you not to blind your eyes at night during the preparation of the annual report.
What are the options for choosing a monitor?
The family budget of each person is different, so we do not always purchase devices with the latest indicators. It is advisable to make a list of the minimum requirements that the future computer screen must meet. When buying, you should take into account the main factors and choose a monitor according to the characteristics that allow the user to work or play on the computer without discomfort.
Things to consider when choosing a monitor:
- The type of the main task performed is design work, playing, everyday home goals, watching movies, working with office applications.
- The type of matrix is an important factor in solving the problem of how to choose the best monitor for your computer. The main distribution now received TFT TN, TFT IPS, TFT VA screens.
- Response time – the smaller this parameter, the more accurate the picture in dynamic scenes.
- Screen resolution.
- Viewing angle.
- Type of monitor coating – gloss or matte surface.
- The maximum brightness of the picture.
- Image contrast.
- Type of monitor backlight – fluorescent or LED. In terms of energy consumption, environmental friendliness and durability, LED technologies are ahead of competitors.
- The presence of modern interfaces – the presence of 3-5 most common inputs / outputs will make your computer universal.
- Monitor design.
- Has built-in speakers.
- Body thickness and weight.
- Device manufacturer – in the task of choosing a monitor for a computer, this criterion always significantly affects the cost and quality of equipment.
What type of monitor matrix to choose?
At the moment, three types of matrices are widely used in the production of computer displays – TN, IPS and VA. Almost 90% of screens installed in public institutions have TN screens, but this is due to the relatively low cost of these devices and the low complexity of tasks that are solved in offices. When thinking about which matrix to choose for a monitor, you need to consider the pros and cons of each type.
Main characteristics of TN monitors:
- Low cost and response time.
- Mediocre color reproduction.
- Low energy consumption.
- The downsides are old technology and problems with poor viewing angles.
The main characteristics of IPS monitors for computers:
- Realistic color rendering.
- The picture practically does not change when changing the viewing angle.
- There are no problems with brightness and contrast.
- When deciding how to choose a monitor for a computer, consider the disadvantages of IPS displays – their price is much higher, they consume more energy than TN screens, older models have a response time of 8 ms.
The main indicators of VA monitors:
- Best color and definition performance.
- Deep black in the image.
- AMVA computer monitors have a low response time issue resolved.
- Shades are slightly distorted when changing the viewing angle.
- Cons – high-quality products are more expensive than TN models with the same diagonal, but they are somewhat cheaper than IPS monitors.
What size monitor to choose?
In the task of choosing the right monitor for home use, the diagonal size is essential. It is advisable to buy a huge screen to watch movies from a certain distance, but when working at a table, the beam is limited to 30 “. Otherwise, it will be tedious to constantly turn your head from one edge of the display to the other in dynamic scenes. The minimum diagonal size, which, according to experts, is equally comfortable for most home and office tasks – 23”.
What monitor frequency to choose?
Under the screen refresh rate, you need to understand the number of image updates per unit of time. The comfort zone is called flickering at a speed of 75 Hz. At maximum values, eye fatigue is reduced, so this parameter is important for many users. When it comes to choosing a good gaming monitor, it’s best to start with 120Hz. It must be remembered that your video card must be able to issue a refresh rate no less and even with a margin, otherwise you will not get the desired smoothness of the picture.
What monitor resolution should I choose?
The picture on the screen consists of tiny elements (pixels), with an increase in their number, the overall quality of the image displayed on the display increases many times over. The problem of how to choose a monitor for a computer cannot be optimally solved without taking into account this important characteristic. The most common resolution standards used to be 1024×768 and 1280×1024. Gamers, designers, and professional photographers now require at least 1920×1080 or 2048×1080 pixels.
When discussing how to choose the right screen resolution for your monitor, try to take into account the type of your activity so as not to overpay additional funds. If you plan to mainly watch movies, type documents, chat on social networks and surf in a browser, then a screen with characteristics of 1920 × 1080 will fit with a margin.
How to choose the viewing angles of the monitor?
For a simple desktop device used by a user sitting directly in front of the screen, the viewing angle is of secondary importance. When watching movies in a large company or wanting to watch a movie while lying on a chair away from the TN display, you will instantly feel discomfort and see a loss in picture quality. The question posed, how to choose a monitor matrix, must be solved by purchasing a device made using the most modern technology. The best option is IPS devices with viewing angles up to 178 °.
What brand of monitor is better to choose?
Well-known brands try to monitor quality and offer their customers more benefits. You get narrow bezels, more degrees of freedom when adjusting the screen position, modern design, reliable case materials. If you are tormented by the question of how to choose a computer monitor from a reliable manufacturer, then it is better to opt for products from the following companies – Samsung, DELL, Philips, LG, Acer, Asus, BenQ, ViewSonic, AOC International.
Interesting modern models of monitors for a computer:
- Viewsonic VP2468;
- Viewsonic VX2776-SMHD;
- Philips BDM4037UW;
- Philips 240V5QDAB;
- Acer H277HU;
- Acer R1 R231bmid;
- AOC AGON AG352QCX;
- Samsung S24F350FHU;
- Samsung S27E370DS,
- Asus VC239H;
- Dell SE2717H.
How to choose a monitor so that your eyes do not get tired?
It is advisable to know exactly what characteristics to choose a monitor in order to save your eyesight. Displays with GB-LED or RGB-LED multi-color backlighting have the best properties. It is desirable to take an IPS matrix with good resolution and anti-reflective properties, a contrast ratio of 600: 1-700: 1. The device must be purchased with a minimum brightness of 200-250 cd / m2its value at home can be lowered manually or with special utilities to comfortable values.