Today it is already difficult to find a person who is not familiar with the operation of a microwave oven, which is used to heat or cook food. Due to the fact that it, which has become so necessary, is used daily, and sometimes even used incorrectly, problems will arise in the operation of the microwave: it does not heat food, the plate will not spin in it, or the light will not burn. Sometimes it even happens that the light is on, the plate is spinning, the fan and grill are working, but the microwave does not heat the food put inside.
In this article, we will analyze in detail the reasons why the microwave does not heat food and what to do about it.
Possible breakdowns of the microwave
Before you start repairing the microwave on your own or involve specialists, you should determine what kind of malfunction:
- The mains voltage is less than 220 volts.
- In inverter microwave ovens – inverter failure.
- Violation in the control circuit: timer or control unit.
- Malfunction in the power circuit, consisting of a fuse, high voltage diode, capacitor, magnetron and high voltage transformer.
Causes of microwave breakdowns:
- Metal object getting inside.
- Heating prohibited foods (such as raw eggs).
- Natural wear of parts.
- Void in the heating chamber, which leads to a fire.
Determination of microwave breakdowns and what to do about it?
You can find out the voltage in your outlet where the microwave is connected using a voltmeter, and if it shows that the voltage is really less than the required 220 volts, you need to install an uninterruptible power supply.
If everything is fine with the voltage, then the microwave has really broken down, and the reason why it does not heat should be looked for inside it – in the power circuit:
- Fuse – according to the device diagram attached to the microwave, we find the fuses, if they turn black or the filament is torn, we simply replace them with the same working ones.
- Capacitor – if it breaks, a hum or buzz appears when turned on, the health of the capacitor is checked with an ohmmeter (if the arrow deviates, it is in good condition, if it does not deviate, it is broken). If a malfunction is detected, it should be replaced with a new one, but it must be borne in mind that before checking and replacing the capacitor, it must be discharged.
- A high-voltage diode or doubler – an indicator of the presence of problems in its operation is a blown fuse and the appearance of a strong buzz when turned on, since it is very difficult to check it, it is better to replace it immediately with a new one.
- Magnetron – when it malfunctions, a hum and buzz is also heard, and when opened, cracks and soot can be seen on the side of it. If its capacity is not visually determined, then using an ohmmeter, we check the feed-through capacitor (should not ring with the body of the magnetron itself) and the filament. Having found the problem, we fix it or replace the entire magnetron with a similar or similar one in terms of basic design parameters.
If your microwave oven starts to break down almost immediately after as it was purchased, then most likely it is made of low-quality or defective components. It is not recommended to “open” such equipment, since the seal is broken and the guarantee for it is canceled, but you just need to take it back to the store and change it to another one.
Whatever the breakdown, it should be remembered that the microwave is one of the most dangerous household appliances and even not included in the network can shock a person with an electric shock. Therefore, if you do not have the necessary knowledge of electronics, instead of starting to repair a microwave oven yourself, it is better to take it to a specialized workshop.